Whether you’re a freshman or a transfer, moving away from home for the first time can be a daunting experience. I’ve compiled a list of necessities and luxuries that are great to have at school, and I have added links to all of my personal favorites. I hope I can help ease the anxiety of moving away and I hope that you enjoy your new adventure!
Bedding (size twin XL)
- Bath Towels, Hand Towels & Washcloths – 3 Sets
- Shower Wrap – Communal Bathroom
- Shower Caddy & Shower Shoes – Communal Bathroom
- Cotton Balls, Q-Tips & Cotton Rounds
- Tissue Boxes
- Pack of Toothbrushes
- Feminine Products
- Shower Curtain
- Vaseline or Chapstick
- Body wash
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Face Wash
- Body Sprays & Perfumes
- Necessary medicines –
- Band-Aids & Neosporin
- Seasonal Allergy Medicine
- Alka Seltzer
- Motion Sickness Pills
- Emergen-C or Airborne
- Cold Medicine
- Your Personal Prescriptions
- Basic First Aid
- Rubbing Alcohol/Peroxide
- Brush & Comb
- Blow Dryer
- Straightener & Curling Iron
- Makeup Removing Wipes
- Pimple Spot Treatment
- Face Masks – So fun to do with your roomies on a movie night!
- Nail Polish (a few basics) & Remover
- Tweezers, Mini Scissors, Nail Clippers, etc – A handy kit here
- Hair Products –
- Smoothing serum – This one is my all time favorite!
- Heat Protector
- Dry Shampoo
- Wave Spray
- Hair Ties, Clips, Bobby Pins, Headbands, etc
- Lighted Desk Mirror – The light makes it so that you can get ready without waking your roommate
- Under Bed Bins
- Rolling Cart – This one from Amazon is perfect for toiletries!
- Desk Drawer Organizer
- Folder Holders – One for each class helps you stay organized
- Over the Door Organizer
- Pen/Pencil Holder
- Shoe Rack
- Double Sided Tape
Misc. Room Necessities
- Full Length Mirror
- Desk Lamp – This one is perfect because you can adjust the brightness and it has a USB port to charge your electronics close-by!
- Power Strip – Dorms have very few outlets, here’s a two pack
- Alarm Clock – Put it away from your bed and it will keep you from snoozing your phone alarm 100 times.
- Air Freshener Spray – Pro tip: Get detergent scented for the illusion that you did your laundry
- Essential Oils & Diffuser – Essential oils really help to lower stress levels, which is important in college
- Eye Mask & Ear Plugs – Necessary if you have roommates!
- Electronics & Chargers
- A Good Laptop – Spend your graduation money on a trustworthy (Mac) laptop. You will use it every single day!
- Backpack – I highly recommend North Face, it will get you through college and years beyond
- Change Jar – Those pennies add up!
- Prescription Glasses
- Sun Glasses
- Something special from home – Teddy bear, blanket, pictures, etc
- Yoga Mat
- Bluetooth Speaker
- Lawn Chair – Necessary for sports events, random camping trips, etc.
- Tapestries – Here’s a beautiful but pricey one from Society6 and a cheap but cute one from Amazon
- Command Hooks & Curtain Clips – If you have cinderblock walls, you can hang tapestries with these!
- Pictures of Friends and Family
- Twine & Clothes Pins – To hang pictures!
- Christmas Lights
- Rug – It will transform your entire room, especially if you have ugly tile floors!
- Hamper or Laundry Bag – Depending on how far your laundry room is from your bedroom
- Detergent Pods or Liquid Detergent – Communal washers can be small, so if you are cramming a lot of clothes in at once, pods won’t fully disintegrate
- Dryer Sheets
- Stain Remover Spray
- Stain Pens
- Lint Roller
- Drying Rack – If you prefer to hang-dry delicates
Kitchen Supplies (Dorm and Apartment)
- Brita Pitcher & Filters
- Reusable Water Bottle(s)
- Travel Mug
- Electric Kettle
- Kuerig Coffee Maker or French Press or Pour Over
- K-Cup pods or Bagged Coffee
- Dish Set & Silverware (I love these disposable ones that look real)
- Dish Soap & Scrub Brush
- To-Go Cups
- Blender Bottle
- Can Opener
- Chip Clips
- Kitchen Towels
- Microwave Cover
Kitchen Supplies* (Apartment)
- Pots & Pans
- Kitchen Utensils
- Oven Mitts
- Pam Spray
- Basic Seasonings
- Pencil Bag
- A Notebook for Each Class
- A Folder for Each Class
- Loose Leaf Paper
- Index Cards
- Calculator & Graph Paper (if taking math courses)
- Paper Clips
- Push Pins
There you have it, the Ultimate College Packing List! I hope this was helpful and that you have a wonderful time at school!
Click the banner below for 50% off of Amazon Prime for students!